Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Homemaker God Wants Me To Be...

We adore chaos because we love to produce order. --M. C. Escher

I think this quote fits me pretty well right now. Back in March I tackled my overwhelming pile of mail in my post Ode to Mail. I created a file system for bills to pay, action needed, catalogs, brochures, medical and school information. It's a beautiful system if I do say so myself. My files are brightly colored and labeled using my label maker so they look nice. It's a great little area. It would be ten times better if I used it daily.

This is where my mail has been going lately - 1st it was my favorite tote bag from Barnes and Noble. When that filled up I grabbed a shopping bag. Horrible isn't it?  Or is it? Why did it get like this? I don't really know, but I have my ideas.  

Now why share my failure to organize my mail? I'm doing it because I want to share that it's okay to have a little chaos in an organized home. If you were to talk to me a year ago I would have shared how this was stressing me out and making me feel like I'm a failure as a homemaker. Now I'm looking at it as just another organizing project to tackle, a chance to start my system over again and proof that I'm finally letting go of the need to have everything in my home perfect. 

"There is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her." Luke 11:42

I pray that I can continue to accept that even though I have this drive to be like Martha, that when I am not like her I am not a failure. God is not going to rate me on my ability to organize me mail. God desires for me to choose the better part. 

Sure at some point I'll pick a quiet afternoon and sort through all that mail but for now I'm going to write, create art and enjoy everyday moments with my family. That's the type of homemaker the Lord desires of me.

Until next time,
Karri

This post will be feature in the Christian Home Magazine

3 comments:

  1. I too used to strive for perfection. But now, in my 50th year, I've discovered two things... #1 - a home that is TANE (tidy and non-embarrassing) is just fine because of #2 - NOBODY has a perfect home (who is actually living in it!).

    Perfection is satan's way of keeping you stressed out and away from God and what He wants in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Teri, thanks so much. I love your quote at the end, I'm going always keep that in the forefront of my mind.

      Delete
  2. I love what Terri said! Perfection isn't all it's cracked up to be. I too have learned that sometimes, it's ok to let it go. You should see my craft room right now - complete chaos and it will stay that way for another couple of weeks. Then I'll get it straightened up just in time to wreck it again for Christmas.

    The Chaos of Clutter seems to be a never ending battle at our house, but like you, I know God doesn't expect us to be perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...